Thursday, April 2, 2015

Lesson 10 South Dakota Library Resource Challenge

Wrap Up!  
Basic, Advanced & Common Core Correlations Discovery Exercise

1.  What was your biggest discovery?

The biggest discovery I had while completing this challenge was simply how incredibly much more information is available to us than what we really do utilize.   There are a few of the available resources I use on a regular basis but many that I really had only seen but never really used at all.  


 2. How will you promote or use the resources with your patrons, colleagues or students?

After now completing the challenge activities I have more confidence in using them more to their potential.   In our library, we do have patrons who occasionally need resources that are beyond what we have available in house.   I have decided to go through our computers and actually bookmark some of these resources so that they are more easily available for patrons.  I also think I need to promote these resources to our other staff members so they can assist patrons in the best way possible.   I believe that electronic resources are only going to become more and more commonly used in the future and we need to be educated and able to use them fluently.   There is a difference between knowing they are there, and actually navigating them to be used to their potential.  This has been a wonderful opportunity to gain that experience and confidence to do just that.   I hope to share what I have gained with coworkers and in the end benefit our library patrons. 

1 comment:

  1. Great discoveries!! I've really enjoyed reading your posts--you've had great insight!

    Here are the links to add the State Library databases to your website:
    http://library.sd.gov/LIB/ERD/urls.aspx -- add the authenticated urls to your website. Some libraries print out the handouts (also linked on the link page) and use those as a conversation starter with patrons.

    Thanks for all your work on the Challenge!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete