Thursday, April 2, 2015

Lesson 8 South Dakota Library Challenge

World Cat, Camio and More

Basic Discovery Exercise part 1

1. We recommend using the Advanced Search screen for best search results. Click the “Advanced” tab on the toolbar 2nd to the top. In WorldCat, the right set of search boxes say “Keyword.” Click on the drop down menu to see other ways you can search.  

 I do the ILL's for our library so I use world cat on a regular basis.   There are many ways to search other than the "Keyword" but the ones I most often use are, author, material type, publisher, ISBN, Subject, and Series title.   Depending on the information I have and how difficult the search, I choose one of those options pretty much on each search I do.  

2. Choose Title Phrase search, and click on the limiter (below the search boxes) “Books.” In the search box, type a book title. Note the number of results. How many libraries worldwide have item #1? Click the link. What is the top library?

I chose the book, "Grace Unplugged" by Melody Carlson for my search merely because I had just finished the book moments before working on my challenge lesson.  I noted it categorized my results into visual, books, internet and sound finds.   Since I was looking for the books, I clicked in the book section to find how many libraries world wide had the title.   I found 392 libraries own it.   Once clicking on the link I found the top library to be "Alexander Mitchell Library" which I know is actually located in Aberdeen, South Dakota. 

3. Click into result #1 and look at the full record. What is the call number (class descriptor)? To see what else the author of your chosen book has written, click on the author's name. To see what else is available on that subject, click on a subject. What other information do you see?

Looking at the full record and seeing what information is available for my searched title, I found the call number as well as it classified as PS=American Literature.   It was easy to see what other information was available because those sections are in blue.   When clicking on the Author, Melody Carlson I found 708 other titles connected to her.   When clicking on the subject, I found a list of other material that are linked to the same type of subject matter.   It is a great resource to have all this information so easy to find and clearly presented.   From publication information, general description of the storyline, genre to even the geographical setting, the information is easily available.  

Basic Discovery Exercise part 1

The OAIster (pronounced “oyster”) database is one of the few mostly full text databases in WorldCat. Choose OAIster from the dropdown menu next to “Search in database.” In the “Keyword” search box, type South Dakota. Select one of your results. Click on the link next to “Access.” Add to your Lesson 8 blog posting by writing about your findings and your impressions of this tool.

Take a look at other participant's blogs and see how their experiences compared with yours.

I did as was directed in the challenge and searched in  OAIster for the keyword, "South Dakota."  Many of the first options where sound recordings and I really didn't want a sound recording so I selected the #24 on the list which was, "A Family Action Program-Home Protection Plan Exercise."   It showed me the internet resource was from the Federal Civil Defense Administration.  Once I clicked on it, it loaded a 32 page booklet from the Archives.   I was expecting a fire plan or storm plan but it geared more towards being prepared for a nuclear attack.   I can see this being a great resource for finding articles and pamphlets that have been archived and would be almost impossible to find without this resource.   In looking for other blogs to see what they experienced, I found many hadn't completed the project yet.  One did say she liked it, but thought it would take some getting used to...I tend to agree.   I think it is a great resource but a real hit and miss. 

Discovery Exercise part 3

Basic Discovery Exercise

You will need to complete this exercise at your school or  library. CAMIO is not accessible from home. You can access CAMIO via this alphabetical list.

1. In the search box, type “Sioux.” Click on an image and notice what information is given and how you can manipulate the image. Blog about your results
.

It was quite easy to manipulate the image.  I was able to turn it, resize it, etc.   It was actually kind of fun and I can see students enjoying that part alone. 

2. How would you and your community use this resource? What other observations can you make?

I think this resource would be useful to many who have an interest in art, whether it be for a school class or personal use.  In our community we have a group that has recently started to promote art and culture in the community.   I think they may have interest in the CAMIO resources. 

 3. CAMIO has a lot of potential for personalizing and presenting research. Do a search on a subject of your choice. Choose 3 or 4 favorites by checking the box to the left of the image number. Click "Save to Favorites"on the toolbar at the top of the results next to "Relevance" and "Display Options." Then click "Favorites" in the gray bar in the upper right of the screen. On the left sidebar, click to export to PowerPoint or Zip Archive File. This allows you to manipulate and use the images in a variety of ways. Try out these features and report your findings.
Wow!   Again I liked to be able to manipulate the images.  It did take me a bit to get to that point though.  There are many step involved.  I think if I had more time it would become easier.   I think this would be used more in an academic library than in our public library.   Again...it is a great resource for those who have an art interest whether it be personal or for a report type project.  

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to promote CAMIO to the group in town that is interested in promoting art and culture. And you sound like a WorldCat pro! WorldCat is an amazing resource!

    Thanks for your post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete