Friday, February 6, 2015

Week 1b South Dakota Library Challenge

World Book Online Public Library Edition has 3 sections:   Kids geared to elementary age children, Info-finder for grades 5-9 and Reference Center good for high school and adults. 

1.   We were instructed to go to the "WB Online for Kids" and search for a mammal, find a picture and info on its habitat.  Easy enough.  I choose to search for dolphin.   First impression as I opened the page was that it looked appealing and simplistic.   I had to click on the science projects link and see what was available there before I even did my mammal search.   Having just worked with the science themed Summer Reading Program I was especially interested and felt it would be of interest to many of our young patrons.  My dolphin search produced 21 articles, 4 pictures and 9 videos.   I think many children would love the videos.  Articles gave very basic information yet enough to inform and more importantly to peak more interest.  


2.   We were instructed to go to the "World Book Online Info Finder" and complete the same search.  At a glance it was obvious more in-depth information would be available on the info finder than the kids version.  The Science project link still remained but a newspaper link, biography links and research tools were also conveniently located.  My search now returned 75 articles and a list of other sources too numerous to mention.

3.  Using the "World Book Online Reference Center" we were research for a country...notice info available on the sidebars.   I chose to look for "Norway."   I HUGE amount of information was available.  I really like that the information that is available is separated into categories for easy access.  I love that it lists online books available and feel that patrons will really like that feature. While an article tends to lend bits and pieces of information...the books will offer a more complete arranged sequences of information.  
 

1 comment:

  1. Super post! The science fair projects in World Book Kids are great.

    Thanks for your post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete