Monday, February 16, 2015

Week 3: South Dakota Library Challenge

Learning Express Library

1.  The first part of the week 3 challenge was to set up an account in the Learning Express Library and browse through the available exams that are available.   Setting up the account was fast and easy.   Navigation through the Learning Express Library was also simplistic and while I had looked at it on a few other occasions I was surprised at how much is actually available. 

2.  The second part of this weeks challenge was to choose 1 specific exam and to answer a few questions before advancing to the diagnostic page and viewing the answers.   I chose to do a "Data Analysis and Probability"test.    I answered half of the questions and advanced to the "score my test" option.   When viewing my test and the answers it was easy to see how helpful such a test would be.  Easy to use, not so long that a person can't complete them quickly and information easily available to learn from the answers.  

3.   When looking under the career resources tab and seeing how much information was available for a large variety of career paths.   I looked under "Caseworker" and found over 200 pages of information available.   I also noted under medical, teaching and nursing there was even more!    Resources were available with general information, preparation for entrance exams, preparation for occupational exams, military preparations and even ways to improve job searching skills.    I chose to explore the "Great Resume" resources available because this coming spring we intend to offer a course to patrons on the subject.  The information available was easy to maneuver with detailed step by step information.  It offered everything from what should be included, to what should not be included, its purpose, format and more.  

4.   For the final part of this weeks challenge, we were to search a term in the search box for a skills improvement or career topic in which we are interested.   I tried a number of searches before my attempt at "Law Enforcement."  Law Enforcement exams are of interest to me now as my son will be finishing up his education and getting his degree in the field this spring.   I paged through the eBook called, "Reasoning Skills for Law Enforcement Exams."   It was 191 pages and was filled with a ton of information that I can see being helpful to my son.  

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how many exams are in Learning Express! How useful that you found resources for your resume workshop and your son! Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete