Monday, February 16, 2015

Week 4 South Dakota Library Challenge

SIRS Discoverer
1. Challenge:   Look up armadillos (or your favorite animals) and discuss the results. Note if you find pictures and the various reading levels of the articles. (Remember, articles in SIRS Discoverer are selected, so you may not find something from yesterday's news.)

The animal I chose to search for was the tiger.   I wanted to pick something that I thought would produce some findings, yet something that would be interesting.   Multiple pages of articles showed up.  More than a thousand articles showed up.  I like how the tabs across the top of the page allow for easily narrowing the search and the color coded icons help you find the best suited article for your needs.  The colorful screen is easy to navigate and is a great resource.  In the library we only have so much space so having these resources available online is a huge benefit for patrons.  

 2. Some of the most useful features in SIRS Discoverer are the "Database Features" located on the right hand side of the window. Explore this section by:
  • selecting a country in "Country Facts" and noting the information located there.
  • selecting a map in "Maps of the World" and discussing a potential use.
  • selecting one other area in "Database Features" and discuss the information located there.
I selected "Sweden" in "Country Facts."   I was given the basic facts about the county such as location, size and capital as well as major historical facts.  In addition there was much more information available through many articles.   Maps of the World gives us access to information that sometimes is hard to come by.  As I do a lot of genealogy research, I have had a need for such maps. 


SIRS Issues Researcher
1. Select a leading issue and discuss the information located there, noting the topic overview, research tools and articles.

I chose to research "capital punishment."   The topic seems to have been brought to the for-front here in South Dakota lately with an inmate recently being executed and another soon to be.   As I suspected a HUGE amount of information was available.  I liked the fact that you can choose between a quick search and an advanced search with the ability to narrow the search fields.   Many articles were available.   The research tools are wonderful.   I especially like the A to Z list which would be a huge help when selected a subject for a paper.   The top 10 was interesting, and I was surprised my capital punishment wasn't higher on the list.   My favorite tool was the Pro vs. Con.   I have always been interested in debate and imploring different sides of a topic. 

 2. Select "Curriculum Pathfinders" on the right hand side of the window and mouse over the course subjects, noting the range of topics covered. Pick your favorite subject and discuss the information located there.

When I explored the "Curriculum Pathfinders" and moved my mouse over the subjects, I noted just how many subjects had information available.  All major subjects seemed to be available.  I selected "health."   I first noticed a section highlighted in a blue box with research ideas.   Listed in the box were depression, obesity, Abortion, healthy diet and more.   I clicked on the topic, "Disease prevention."   A long list of web articles was listed.   I selected one that talked about Influenza.  With the large number of influenza cases this winter, and many questioning the immunization process I was interested in this article.   I was directed to the web site which offered  broad  information on the subject.   It gave the treatments, symptoms, etc.  

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog. It is nice to look at and well put together. I also did this challenge and thing that your post is more informative and better done then mine. I am on to the next challenge and this is part of it. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words. I had never worked with a blog before this challenge and found it to be a tad stressful. hahha. Apparently, I was making it too difficult. Now its just a matter of finding time to get back to it and keep up with it. I still do not feel like an expert by any means but am able to muddle through it. Good Luck Peggy with the rest of the challenge

      Delete
  3. I like your blog. It is nice to look at and well put together. I also did this challenge and thing that your post is more informative and better done then mine. I am on to the next challenge and this is part of it. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like your blog. it is nice and well put together. Better then mine. i am doing the next challenge and this is part of it. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful discoveries in SIRS Discoverer and SIRS Issues Researcher. There are great non-fiction ebooks in SIRS Discoverer. And in SIRS Issues Researcher, the pro and con is great. Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete